Thursday, June 13, 2013

Why Do We Watch Reality TV?

It seems like most of the shows that come on today are "reality" shows. The reason that I put reality in quotation marks is because there have been a couple of these shows' stars come out and say that some of it is actually scripted or they are forced into situations by producers to actually create the drama for show ratings. Many of us know this but still watch.

Like me, I can admit it. My guilty pleasure is Reality TV shows. I look at the shows as just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. However, most of our generation of black women are looking up to these women, idolizing them and copying their behaviors. They are learning how to be the "baddest b*tch" or allowing a man to cheat on them or how to argue, hate on, or fight any other female that gets in their way. I completely disagree with young women doing this, but it is happening and I'm not sure how that problem could be solved.

My challenge to any black woman or girl that watch these shows is for you to sit down and actually name positive things about these reality shows: The Real Housewives of Atlanta, Love and Hip Hop Atlanta, and Bad Girls Club. The reason why I say these three is because I am familiar with these shows (I know there are way more than that, but I wouldn't be able to give my accurate opinion on it). After that, ask yourself why do you watch these shows. Are you looking up these people? Are you learning anything? Is it just entertainment? How can we tell other women and our daughters not to think that the behaviors betrayed by these black women are in no way acceptable?


Just think about all of these things and comment your answer and what you think down below. If you are one of the young ladies who are looking up to these women or anything like I described in the 2nd paragraph, I really need to hear from you.



*I will say though that Tia and Tamera is a wonderful reality show on the Style network. If you want to look for some positive reality TV, please check that show out.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a black in anyway shape or form... I burn when I see the sun but hey what can I do about it. I totally agree with you though that we watch "reality" tv and take it too seriously... a show is meant to entertain us not to inform us of how we are suppose to act. As a society we have really seemed to be addicted to fantasy worlds and drama. We see it in these shows and then look at our life and it's boring soo we start drama to make life more exciting.... idk its really weird how human behavior works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How humans work...that would be a never ending series. Anyway, it is a shame that people aren't able to separate reality from "reality," but I would like to think that one day, maybe a decade from now actual TV series will make a major comeback and receive the top ratings. For now we have to stick to housewives who aren't married and now, challenging what we thought as private in society, church.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!