Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dark Skin vs. Light Skin: Why The Separation?

This is a subject that is very sensitive in the black community. Who it seems to affect the most is the females. Lately, I have been watching OWN (Oprah Winfrey's cable channel) and on Sunday, there will be a documentary coming on that night titled Dark Girls. The commercial for it just breaks my heart at times.

Why do dark skinned women feel like they aren't beautiful? Why is there a need to notice each other's skin tone when black people come in ALL different and beautiful shades? Why the separation???

The one thing I hate the most is when you go on social media sites and a lot of us women might say "#TeamDarkSkin" or "#TeamLightSkin". It makes no sense, especially when we all know where this separation started. It had been ingrained in us since slavery times and we have been given the information and educated on this. However, we still decide to feed into it. It's almost like we choose to live in an ignorant bliss. 

In this Think About It segment, I would like for you guys to really sit down and think about this subject. Of course, there will be future posts made about this subject. There is so much more I have to say, because it is such a big and important subject, but for now, just think about the questions that I have above.

What do you think about the subject? Will you be watching Dark Girls on OWN at 9pm CT? Please comment down below and if you watch the documentary, tell me what you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!